Thursday, November 25, 2010

I hate my Sisterlocks?

Ya know, I thought I was liberating women with Sisterlocks until I began to hear comments they would say about their hair. I realized that this is just another level of subjugation for some women. so many of us who have sisterlocks seem to still attach pretty with being 'neat'. "I don't like to see no fuzzy roots" or "my edges are real nappy" is what I would hear often from us Sisterlock girls. I question the self the love for our hair because if with this i still hear tones ,though subtle, of  disdain with our hair. it has to be curled, braids down, twisted out, scarf it, stretched and pinned to be something to admire. Don't get me wrong, I love my hair and the crazy things i do with it but I am at a point where I can see my nappy edges and feel just as polished and beautiful NO CURLS at all.

No comments:

Please Leave a Comment!