Wednesday, September 28, 2011

No Love Real Hair StylistsThese days

I have been reading blogs, watching how-to videos and getting a little overwhelm and slightly annoyed at the assault on professional hair stylists by novice you tube hairstylists. I love the natural hair movement, but now my judgements as a professional 'licensed ' hair stylist is challenged by new natural hair wearers who are posting up product reviews and giving hair care advice based solely on the results they get from their own hair. i see psychotherapists, lawyers, teachers,models etc giving our lovely kinky sistahs the 411 on hair care.

Sigh... I'm torn because while it is refreshing to see so many women from all levels of education and status embrace their coils, I stop short when my would -be clients come in the salon with bags of products from these 'star' recommendation and a blue print of how I should design their style, I don't think its fair. I am not telling anyone out there how to provide therapy to try a civil case so I am asking for some respect for my advice the care I prescribe for you with so much dogma detoxing from what is being promoted out here. If u go to a stylist, this means u are probably looking to achieve something you cannot do yourself, trust in them, it just makes for a better experience...Just my opinion.... What do u think?

1 comment:

Choklett said...

Actually, I agree. The you-tube things are great... I actually use them. But when I go to the salon, I go because I want the professional experience.... And as with any professional, a certain level of respect and courtesy should be given. While it makes sense to tell the hair care professional what style you desire, as well as what products you have been using.... Telling them HOW to do your hair is a bit disrespectful to them as a professional... If you don't like what they do, or if your hair stylist needs that much direction... Maybe you should change and get one that's on the same page.

Please Leave a Comment!