Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Keeping my kinky hair!

I know I've been away too long. Got preoccupied with life, sorry. I hope everyone of you guys are doing well. I have been going through some transformations of my own, taking a needed rest from everything. My hair is growing nicely; although, I've contemplated cutting them off a few times. You know how we get, ladies. That itch to reinvent ourselves sometimes turns into a full case of poison ivy. I remember this feeling; I got right before I gave birth to my daughter. Back then, it was trauma of giving birth that made me quack my hair off. I was so worried about my vagina going back to normal that I schedule a C-section instead of opting for the "natural" way. I won't perm my hair,but you can give me any chemical you want to when it's childbirth involved. That said, I've been thinking about this whole natural hair thing and why I really have locks in the first place. I made a list:

1. I wanted to please God by showing him that I loved how he made me.
2. I didn't like the idea of my beauty being wrapped up in to bundles of someone else's hair.
3. I have daughters, so I didn't want them to think that their hair was some kind of a mistake.

Pretty noble reasons, don't you think? I think so too, but I had to go even deeper. I sat in front of a mirror and started talking to myself, not in a crazy irrational way, a real conversation with myself. Here's what myself said to me:

"A woman's value has nothing to do with her hair, it is what's in her heart that matters. You think because you have now decided not to straighten hair on your head that you have somehow surpassed others. What about the person who fights for humanity on a daily basis, or the 8 year old child who looks after her whole family, or the mothers that may not eat tonight because she puts her children first. If you truely are about loving self, then you cannot teach hate for another, in any form. True love holds no jealousy, envy or greed. Absolute love means acceptance of self and Everyone else. We all want full stomachs, laughter, companionship and beauty. Be an example for every woman.

2 comments:

Jena Evans said...

Nicely stated... Blessings~

Ms Stella said...

I needed this!

Please Leave a Comment!