Monday, October 15, 2007

Why I do Straight Styles and Hair Extensions



I did a client the other day and she comment on how my hair was so pretty. I thanked her for the compliment but before I could finish she said she would never let someone do her hair that didn't have locs too. I told her that creativity is creativity, and the ability to create beautiful natural styles doesn't start with your own hair necessarily. I think her views are shared by many, and that was one of the reasons why it took me so long to loc my own hair. I didn't want to offend my straight haired or weave haired clients, so even though I wanted to loc my own hair, I gave up the wish and decided that it wouldn't be a good business move.

I don't think there is a stylist who doesn't have a preference for certain styles: I know I do! But to say that you wouldn't trust someone on your hair if they didn't wear the particular style you want is a bit limiting. If you are serious about your craft, you should be able to do HAIR, period. I love locs and twist and braids. I also love the illusion of a weave that's razor cut and blown dry to perfection. I've relaxed "Caucasian" as I have "black" hair. I love hair!! I take an artistic point of view. Are relaxers harmful? Studies have shown that they are, but so is color and even the blow dryer you use let out harm radiation. Do I hope my daughters stay natural? I sure do. It's a simplistic lifestyle a less toxic lifestyle. But inevitably we all have to make the choice of what can and cannot live with. I realize I can't live without cable t.v., my laptop(more radiation),mashed potatoes and honey roasted peanuts. Oh and I almost forgot:SEX!!He he^)

No comments:

Please Leave a Comment!