Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Decide that Sisterlocks is For You


Why are we so afraid of our hair? I do consultations quite often and I do see a trend with respect to having natural hair. Its fear! I hear it all the time. I am scared that my hair won't "look right" or "I don't want it to look ruff" or "I'm afraid that my husband won't like my hair natural".

I can go on and on. It does make me feel like we still have much work to do in the way we think about ourselves. Though we say we have, we still have to make an effort or prove that we love who we are. For me to 'sell' Sisterlocks I usually get caught into a history lesson as well. Don't get me wrong, I love taking about history and nappy hair, but why the need for so much convincing?

This is who you are. You are the possessor of extra curly hair and there is nothing wrong with this.

I think we need to start really examining our intention to lock hair. Is it to embrace your heritage and show the world that your nappy hair is beautiful? Or is it to finally hair hair that will grow past your shoulders and you really don't give a damn how you get Sisterlocks or not. It it to be an example to your girls or are you doing it to please your husband?

I would say that the ideal way to think is to have them because you want them, but that's my opinion and you don't have to be coming from the same place as I am.
I am truly tired of the politicising of this hair thing. I wish there wasn't a need to campaign for nappy hair. I wish that when I talk with sisters about getting Sisterlocks that they make the decision because it is a better way to live not because they want to buck the system or defy main stream images. I think we give those things to much energy.

Can we live! All I want to do is live life. No labels, no fire and brimstone, unnatural things.

Its time for you to live our lives without the campaigns, debates, worries etc..

JUST Do IT!

1 comment:

Eldridge Overton Educational Programs said...

Are you available for sisterlock installations with extensions int eh NY area?

Please Leave a Comment!