Thursday, November 29, 2007



I just wanted to show you guys what I looked like before losing 80 pounds. I thought that it was my cross to bear. This was what I was supposed to look like. I didn't have the courage or the know-how to transform my body into what I thought was ideal.

How many of you are thinking "This is how God made me, I can't change!" Well my friends, weight is one of the few things that we can control.
I grew up in a typical West Indian home; curry goat, rice&peas, bake and shark, stew pork,rum cake, sorrel,roti, breadfruit etc..

I was a food slut! If you offered it to me, I ate it. I remember waking up in the middle of the night(3am) and I'd heat up a whole plate of food and eat for an hour, then go back to bed.

It was comforting to me, or so I thought.

I'd go on crash diets. One week it would be only packaged juices, then I got a juicer and went on a juicing frenzy and even juiced POTATOES(yuk!), then I would take pills and my hands would shake so much that I couldn't work, then I drank milk for a week on the advice of someone(whew! that was gross), then I ate only meat for a month, then I drank 2 gallons of water a day for a week(I thought I would explode!)Then I did 1 meal a day and ate bubble gum when I was hungry^(

I have done it all, and they all failed. As you can see, most of them I couldn't sustain for more than a week.
Eating habits, to be successful, needs to be something you can maintain for the duration. No crash diets or fads. THEY DON"T WORK!

You could get a head start on your New Years resolution and start your transformation today.

Start with getting rid of the red meat:
1)It takes too long for your system to digest
2)causes bloating and heavy menstrual flow
3) Has no nutritional value
4) Full of bacteria and disease(MAD COW ANYONE)
5)Overworks the body and causes premature aging
6)Makes you smell fowl(in your intimate parts)
7)The cows are being fed dead animals in their feed, forget the "Little House on the Prairie" images and envision cows with cancer being fed paper, cement and dead animals.

Start throwing out the red meat today. Your arteries will thank you^)



2 comments:

Natacha said...

Hi Salkis,

I'm a lurker on your blog and check in on a regular basis to see what's going on with your locks or your life in general.

This entry came right on time for me. I've always battled with my weight as an adult. I grew up in the exact carribean environment you did and the foods seem to comfort me too. I've come to the realization that I'm an emotional eater and I've got to get a handle on it.

I started a weight loss journey earlier this year and lost approx 40lbs. Sadly, I've gained about half of that back due to some stress in my life and not making an effor to stick to the good habits I'd started earlier this year. I told myself just yesterday that I'm going to get my butt in gear and jump back on the wagon. 2008 will see a slimmer, healthier ME!

Just wanted to tell you that reading this entry further solidified my resolve to make this happen. I watched the Oprah show yesterday and that helped too (wink). I'm going to do it the old fashioned way by correcting my in-take and exercise. The exercise is the biggest hurdle for me since I HATE to do it, but I did it earlier this year and I can do it again.

Just wanted to thank you for sharing your experience and story because you are definitely an inspiration to me!

Inspirations and continued blessings,
Natacha

Anonymous said...

80 Pounds?! Wow! You only look like a 150-160? and you dropped 80?
You must be like 5'7" or 6'0"
tall?
It's been 10 years since I've had red-meat, and I'm "Still" Gaining back my weight! I guess that is what I get for having an occupation, sitting at a computer and not moving.

Take care~

Please Leave a Comment!